NextEra Energy Inc. and Florida Power and Light are seeking an Internal Controls/SOX Sr. Accountant at the corporate headquarters in Juno Beach. In this role you will report to the Manager of SOX Compliance and will ensure compliance with the requirements of the Sarbanes-Oxley Act of 2002 for NextEra Energy, Inc. (NEE), Florida Power & Light Company (FPL) and NextEra Energy Partners (NEP).
You will add value by taking the lead role in researching, analyzing and reporting on potential internal control issues affecting NEE, working with business partners to help them resolve internal control issues/concerns, making recommendations on how to strengthen internal controls, as well as taking the lead role in special projects, including automation oversight. You can expect to work with management, process owners and reviewers, system users, internal and external auditors. You will also perform SOX testing duties as needed to support annual SOX testing requirements and provide system administration duties to support the Internal Controls application, Wdesk.
Duties and responsibilities of the role include:
- Maintains a good understanding of GAAP, SEC regulations, relevant company policies, practices and procedures
- Performs annual and periodic updates to the SOX scoping analyses
- Reviews annual SOX processes and recommends sub-process, controls and test plan changes
- Analyzes new processes or sub-processes to identify key controls, draft the sub-process or process narrative and develop test plans
- Identify controls for key Information Produced by the Entity (IPE) and robotics/automation processes
- Prepares annual SOX testing plan and schedule based on scoping
- Serves as the contact/liaison between the controls team and the testers to execute the annual plan
- Reviews management SOX testers' working papers and provides feedback as needed, and notify process owners and management of testing status and any unresolved testing requirements
- Follows-up on any identified SOX issues to ensure proper remediation, process changes, re-testing required, mitigating controls, etc.
- Maintains SOX deficiency log in Wdesk
- Maintains SOX testing status reports and follows-up with testers to ensure internal and external deadlines are met
- Drafts executive management SOX presentations
- Works on teams involved with redesigning or automating existing processes to ensure effective controls are implemented and duties are appropriately segregated
- Oversees the quarterly SOX certifications, ensure timely and accurate submissions, and develop reports of notable changes and self-reported issues for management and the external auditors
- Performs system administration duties in Wdesk - adds users, changes user roles, adds/changes/deletes SOX processes, control objectives, control activities, maintains narratives, sets up annual testing parameters in the system, deploys test plans, etc.
- Trains and assists new SOX process owners and SOX testers so they can effectively use the Wdesk application.
Employees in this job take the lead role in special projects, including researching, analyzing and reporting on issues that affect the company, making recommendations for solutions, and following through to resolution.
Job Duties & Responsibilities
- Prepares financial reports that are in compliance with GAAP, in a timely manner, to accurately reflect the financial status of the company
- Maintains a good understanding of, and applies, GAAP, SEC regulations, and relative company policies, practices and procedures
- Assures accounting integrity of corporate financial data through the implementation of appropriate internal controls
- Prepares schedules and journal entries
- Provides guidance and direction to other team members
- Performs other job-related duties as assigned