United States Coast Guard Academy Alumni Association
Affinity Engagement Manager
FLSA Status: Salaried Exempt
Reports to: Director of Alumni Engagement
The Alumni Association is pleased to announce an opening for an Affinity Engagement Manager, a valuable opportunity for professional growth within a team deeply invested in supporting this person's development and success.The Affinity Engagement Manager will collaborate closely with all members of the Alumni Engagement (AE) staff on the coordination and execution of alumni and undergraduate programs and events. This person will lead key efforts in creating a network of involved alumni through volunteer opportunities and shared interests. Whether on-campus, off-campus or virtual, the Affinity Engagement Manager will have direct involvement in and ownership of varied aspects of reunions, homecoming weekend, and regional programming. In addition, the Affinity Engagement Manager will maintain oversight of affinity group programming and will collaborate with staff and campus partners to advance the goals of becoming a fully inclusive community. The Affinity Engagement Manager
will manage a diverse group of alumni volunteers involved in these programs through training, guidance, and direct engagement. In addition, this person will need to navigate the tools and resources used in AE in support of alumni, including social media, virtual event facilitation, project management systems, invitations, and other marketing pieces. The Affinity Engagement Manager will be an active member of the professional staff and will be fully integrated into policy and programming discussions and decisions.
This position could provide a powerful steppingstone for a career in Higher Education.
Oversight of Affinity Engagement
- Support national and regional affinity programming strategies that facilitate lifelong community-building among alumni and our greater community
- Oversee the execution of affinity-based programs in partnership with AE colleagues around special interests, young alumni, parents, regional networking
- Liaise with our alumni affiliate groups (Women’s Leadership Initiative, Eclipse Legacy Coalition) and support partnerships with student affinity organizations
- Coordinate with campus partners to develop affinity group programming and partnerships that promote diversity and inclusion
- Develop yearly calendar of programs through research and proactive outreach with departments, sports teams and clubs, and Office of Diversity and Inclusion
- Create guidelines to support partnership between campus departments and affinity groups
- Establish vibrant academic and personal affinity programs with robust online and in-person presence
- Provide logistical support to high-impact events that connect alumni back to CGA
- Identify, recruit, and steward volunteers to engage alumni and students through meaningful connections among alumni and between alumni and the Academy
- Proactively engage with volunteers and campus partners to identify opportunities for alumni to support student success
- Input all volunteer engagement information into the database and respond to alumni/ae inquiries
Alumni Engagement / Membership
- Explore benefit options for segmented membership categories to strategically engage alumni
- Manage the Bears Supporting Bears program, online engagement tools, a job referral platform and alumni owned business directory, to bring our members innovative services that capitalize on the power of the CGA alumni network.
- Engage with class leaders for assistance with updating contact information
- Provide administrative and programmatic support to the Alumni Engagement Team
Front Line Engagement
Assist callers and visitors by offering the highest level of customer service
- Greet and direct visitors to the Alumni Center
- Maintain professional customer/employee/vendor relationships with a strong commitment to service.
- Ensure conformance to vision, mission, and values of the United States Coast Guard Academy Alumni Association.
The Affinity Engagement Manager will have the opportunity to work on a broad array of programs. Collaboration with colleagues, AE and otherwise, will require navigating the range of work styles which permeate any professional setting.
Minimum Required Education, Experience, Skills
- Associates Degree or equivalency. Current college seniors and recent graduates are encouraged to apply.
- 1-2 years of related experience
- Expressed cultural appreciation and sensitivity in interacting with a diverse alumni population
- High level of professionalism with good interpersonal skills, and the ability to build and maintain collaborative relationships with external and internal constituents
- Effective oral and written communication skills
- Strong planning and organizational skills
- Creativity with the ability to take initiative, respond to multiple demands, and pay close attention to details and prioritize
- Solid computer skills with experience in the Microsoft Office suite of products
- Position requires ability to travel, with some evenings and weekends required
Preferred Education, Experience, Skills
- BS/BA degree in a field that lends itself to engagement work in the non-profit sector
- Experience in alumni relations or other development related discipline (fund raising, donor relations, stewardship, etc.) in a higher education or comparable professional environment
- Experience with Blackbaud or iModules platforms, or another fundraising database platform
- Candidate must be able to sit for long periods of time while using a computer mouse, keyboard, and telephone
- Candidate must be able to stand and walk for extended periods of time during alumni events
- Candidate must be able to lift 10-20lbs occasionally
- Candidate must be able to successfully pass a background check
- Salary range is commensurate with experience
- Benefits include access to medical/dental/vision/life insurance, company sponsored long-term disability
- Insurance, as well as participation in a 403(b) retirement plan
Please send an cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org,
USCGAAA is an equal opportunity employer that values diversity and inclusion. We strive to lead with our values that enable all team members to develop their potential, bring their full self to the workplace, and engage in a world of inclusion. All employment decisions are based on qualifications, merit, and business